Back by popular demand is CAPS Cares Corner – first introduced last year at our 2017 Convention!
CAPS Cares about its members, CAPS Cares about its association, and now… CAPS Cares about its community. It’s no surprise that our members are giving, generous, and community-minded. I mean, we uplift people for a living — it’s what we do! And now, we get another chance to do it and make a HUGE impact on our community.
At the 2018 CAPS Convention in Vancouver, we will once again undertake a one-of-a-kind program to raise funds – and wardrobe accessories — for THREE very deserving charities.
Here’s the deal (in an easy, step-by-step format):
- We’re asking you, our members and Convention attendees – both male and female – to bring your used, but good condition, jewelry (you know, those “this is just not me anymore!” beauties), cuff links, ties, other appropriate personal items, and unused hotel toiletries to the Vancouver Convention.
- When you get to Convention, deposit these wardrobe accessories and unused toiletries on the CAPS Cares table near registration.
- If you see something that you like, buy it! Everything on the table will be sold for a flat fee of $20 CASH. So if or when you purchase something, simply place your $20 CASH in the lock box at the table, and enjoy your new accessory!
Now HERE’S the cool part: (although we do agree that purchasing one of your fellow members’ treasure for $20 is cool, there’s more…):
- Any UNSOLD jewelry and the hotel toiletries will be donated to Dress For Success Vancouver, a charity that helps women achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire, and development tools to help them get into the workforce then thrive in work and in life.
- Any UNSOLD cufflinks, ties, and appropriate personal men’s items will be donated to Working Gear, a Vancouver-based organization that was established to relieve poverty by providing interview clothing and/or industry appropriate clothing to low income or unemployed individuals in search of employment. Working Gear operates in an area located on the unceded Coast Salish territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.
- All money raised through the sale of these items will be donated to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. As we enter the holiday season let us contribute to the Food Bank who provides assistance to help address the immediate needs of the community. The Food Bank’s goal is to build strong, connected communities through the power of food while employing the principles of sustainability, education and training, and quality nutrition to achieve their goal.
To our CAPS Community….can you imagine the impact you can have on the lives of countless individuals, JUST by participating in this program?
Bring your old accessories – bring accessories from your significant other, friends, or family – clean out your drawers from all your hotel toiletries (which we think we’re going to use, but be honest….aside from one or two in your gym bag, they’re taking up way too much space in your bathroom drawer, right?). And once you’re at Convention….have fun shopping! And just know that whatever you bring might give someone a chance to turn their lives around with meaningful employment.
CAPS really cares. You know it. We know it. And now, our community will get to experience it. Let’s continue the tradition of giving back!
So don’t forget – bring your wardrobe accessories and your unused toiletries to Convention – and you’ll see how that simple act will help change lives.